Subject: Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 02:22:18 -0700

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> On Thursday, Jul 31, 2003, at 15:44 Australia/Melbourne, Eric Welch
> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, but Ted, How many years have you been at it?
> >
> > There are three kinds of photographers. The ones with talent who pick
> > it up through osmosis, like you, and those who have to make a study of
> > it, and understand the principles by which photographic instruments do
> > their work so they can master it through study and practice. I'm
> > somewhere in the middle there. And the third kind of photographer make
> > things up like: "There are three kinds of photographers."
>
> Damn, finished third in a three horse race again ;-)
>
> Alastair

Hi Alastair! Time for lunch?
I heard that in any profession there are two kinds of people.
The first kind are the ones who are naturals. They just lift their
little pinkies and they are producing solid images (thinking of
Photography). It often bores them because it's too easy and often their
work is very good but not excellent or inspired. Perhaps the lack of
commitment is showing.

They pursue this profession because it is too easy for them to not oo.
They just fall back on it.

The second kind of person is the kind in which our profession would seem
to be the exact OPPOSITE of them.
Everything is very difficult in this profession for them and they have
to do things numerous times to finally get it right.
	...To achieve the result the first kind of person does in a few minutes
they have to be up all night memorizing the textbooks, doing film tests
and so on. Shooting film or in the darkroom. Which they are most glad to
do. The kind of stuff the first person should be doing as well but most
times could not be bothered.
But the first person is lazy. They can get by without all the fuss.

And the second type of person is committed and TENACIOUS and has got
TENDONITIS (from doing everything three times). And a TREMENDOUS
headache from never sleeping as I am now not doing.

Although the work is the "opposite of them" in all regards it fascinates
them so much (perhaps becuase of this) they often persevere in the end.
Or rather they end up with a more significant body of work then the
first guy.

And more cute little German cameras.

What is NOT US fascinates us the most! We HAVE to do it despite what all
common sense would indicate.

And a Jaguar R4. (might be made by Minolta)

I read this in an airplane magazine.

Based on the landing i think the pilot needed another million hours on
the simulator.

Plus they should teach him how to land.

No just kidding on the bottom part here.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au> ([Leica] Re: arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...)