Subject: Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:36:37 -0700

Sorry, Karen, but you are flat out wrong. There is no such thing as
accuracy being covered by depth of field. Every lens has a focusing
plane where the optical image is at its best, and even in the "cone of
light" of the depth of field (based on the standards of the photo
industry, that tends to be any part of the cone less than 1/30 of a
milimeter) the sharpness falls off as you move away from that optimal
plane of focus.

And the very FACT that at about 75mm to 90mm SLRs becomes more accurate
in focusing than rangefinders is proof. This is a well-known fact,
espeically amongst Leica folk, since we've debated this issue for
decades (the debate being where the SRL becomes more accurate than the
rangefinder). The focusing of a rangefinder camera becomes more
accurate at shorter focal lengths. And it has NOTHING to do with depth
of field. It has everything to do with basic optics and physics and the
very principle of how rangefinders work. The wider the rangefinder
base, the more accurate that rangefinder becomes. And the shorter the
focal length, the wider the rangefinder base of a given camera becomes
in proportion to the focal length.

These are just examples I pulled out of thin air, but the principle
applies:

At 90mm, say the rangefinder base is 100mm. That's nearly a 1:1
relationship. At 50mm, the relationship becomes 2:1, base to focal
length. At 24mm that relationship becomes 4:1 base to focal length.
It's clearly vastly more accurate in focusing at 24mm than it is at
90mm, because the relative rangefinder base to the focal length is 4
times larger. And it's THAT base that determines focusing accuracy.

You can argue that for most people that's not important because they
shoot the "f/8 and be there" hyperfocal method. I only use that in
riots and other fast-breaking news situations. Because that technique
might end up putting the optimal focus plane far away from where I want
it. But when you're shooting a 35mm Summilux ASPH vs ANY 35mm SLR with
a 35mm lens at 1.4, the rangefinder is going to be clearly superior to
the SLR. But at 90mm, the SLR  will be more accurate than a rangefinder
camera at the same aperture.

Basic physics.

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 06:49  AM, Karen Nakamura wrote:

> So the focusing *accuracy* of a rangefinder is constant, it's just
> that that accuracy will be visible with certain lens combinations.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgment. - Will Rogers

Replies: Reply from "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu> (Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...)
Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...)