Subject: Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:44:58 -0700

Yeah, but Ted, How many years have you been at it?

There are three kinds of photographers. The ones with talent who pick
it up through osmosis, like you, and those who have to make a study of
it, and understand the principles by which photographic instruments do
their work so they can master it through study and practice. I'm
somewhere in the middle there. And the third kind of photographer make
things up like: "There are three kinds of photographers."

You're right, when the heat is on, the reflexes take over and those who
are experienced get the photo. They don't think about that stuff, any
more than they need to think about what muscles to control when they
walk, or swallow or scratch their nether parts.

But for newbies, the understanding how things work can help them
troubleshoot the bad things they see on film, or figure out why their
photos aren't sharp.

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 08:27  AM, Ted Grant wrote:

> However, on a positive note. I thank many of you for presenting your
> knowledge of camera operating systems and many other aspects from the
> technical side of photography over the years, as in quiet times I
> found it
> quite fascinating. But during a heated shooting session it's mainly
> forgotten.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few
who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric
fence. - Will Rogers.