Subject: Re: [Leica] Cropping dilema
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:24:57 -0700

Well, I would CITE a book if I could.

Hmmmm. there was that Art Wolfe book where he admitted to messing with
his photos to make them more prefect. It was on patterns of nature or
something. He's taken a lot of flack for his defense of the right for
nature photographers to "lie" with their photos. And he deserves ever
bit of it.

But as we've been saying, we have no problem with cropping. The very
act of taking a photograph is an exercise in cropping - except with
maybe the exception of that Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 fisheye. But adding black
to a photo the pretends to be journalistic or documentary is dishonest.

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 07:04  AM, bdcolen wrote:

> My only question here Eric, is whether you can site a single photo book
> - not a "how to" book, but a book of photos - in which the photographer
> added some sort of note in which he said "I cropped a corner here, and
> added black there?" ;-)

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Always drink upstream from the herd. - Will Rogers