Subject: Re: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:48:23 +0800

Hi

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Welch" <eric@jphotog.com>

> I have talked with Jim Nachtwey. In fact, I photographed him with my
> Leica R.
>
> He uses Leica M in addition to his Canons. If I was a war photographer
> I would have adopted Canon AF lenses long, long ago. A lot of
> photojournalists use that combination. But fewer and fewer will since
> Leica isn't digital in the M line, and won't be for who knows how long?

ok that's interesting news - the fact he also uses Leica M. His recent Iraq
portfolio is all digital though. i wonder if he still uses his M actively
now.........

I brought up his name precisely because i happen to have a chance to meet
him at a recent TIME magazine hosted workshop he conducted. (yes i too
sneaked a few shots of him with my M! :))  I had a brief conversation with
him and he did complain that there are too many fancy features on his 1v (i
presumed he has switched from his 1n), but he did say the 1v is "a fantastic
camera, and very fast"..... he is obviously sold on AF!

To me he is a good example of a photographer who has put modern automated
camera systems to good use. The work that he has done with his all singing
all dancing Canon system puts to shame all of us (yes myself included) who
have at one point or another looked at photographers using automated cameras
with contempt :)

boon hwee

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?)