Subject: [Leica] Re: It's all pots and pans now...
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:14:22 -0400

2003-07-25-23:29:18 Mark Rabiner:
> Oh and I got into the German company Berndes for more than one non stick stuff.
> They are the Leica of non stick.
> http://www.berndes.com/us

I thought so, a few years ago.  Pleasingly heavy aluminum pans, seem
well made, nice to look at.  But after a year or two, the softish
nonstick coating began to come down with some sort of dermatitis.
Little patches started flaking off.

They have a nice warranty, and if I get around to shipping my frypan
back they'll presumably re-coat or replace it.  But I've moved on.

The less-fancy Anolon[1] pan (the older, cheap-looking line) I was given
around the same time by a cooking-wise girlfriend has worn like iron.
And so far (fingers crossed) the non-stick All-Clad[2] LTD frypan I've
gotten to try and find something pleasingly weighty and exuding
apparent well-madeness yet with that handy modern slippyness for the
eggs hasn't come down with scurf.

Of course, there's nothing like a real cast-iron pan, and I treasure
the one I inherited from my paternal grandmother.  Somehow, I've never
been able to season one as well myself.  I'm a little timid about what
I cook in it, though, as I don't want to screw it up -- so I mostly
just fry up good greasy meats in it.  Cowardice, I suppose.

For letting something bubble quietly away on the stove with good
temperature stability and absolutely no hotspots, though, I love the
copper Bourgeat[3] pots.  Heavy copper, but breaking with tradition by
having a bonded stainless-steel inner layer -- so you don't have to
keep getting them re-tinned every few years.  The cast-iron handles
seem to resist getting as hot at the body to a useful extent.  These
are my workhorses.  There's no need to keep the copper shiny, and I
don't generally bother, but you do need to hand-dry the handles after
washing.

 [1] http://www.anolon.com/index.html

 [2] http://www.allclad.com/

 [3] http://www.bourgeat.fr/produit/cuivre.htm