Subject: [Leica] Re: R8-9 question for long exposures
From: David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:37:16 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

>That is simply NOT true. I have used my R8 with the mechanical setting
>many, many times. It's on the shutter speed dial, and like the older Nikon
>F bodies, it's labled "T." That is mechanical.

Sorry, Eric.  But Aram is right. The R8/9 shutter is totally electronically
governed... unlike many older slrs, or the M7, it has NO mechanically
governed speeds in case of battery failure.  (At least on my old R5, the X
was mechanically set. Not so with the R8.)

The "T" setting is shutter speed priority, but *not* mechanically
governed.  Take your batteries out, and try it for yourself!

>But it's a moot point. Get the motor or winder with the rechargeable
>battery and it's no big deal to do hours-long exposures.

Here, you're right, for the motor. But the winder uses the 123 batteries...
Do you know where I can find rechargeable versions of these?  I don't!  And
wish I could!

Best,

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Website at: www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr