Subject: [Leica] M6 & SF20 flash. Help me diagnose pls.
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:41:14 -0700

Rick,

I had problem #2 with a classic M6.  My problem was even worse, in that
the flash would trigger while advancing the film, and the flash would
trigger ahead of synchronization, resulting in ruined pictures.

I had it sent back to Leica 3 times, until they finally fixed the
problem.  What they said was that internal contact points for the flash
trigger were too near the metal top.  When the curtain was uncocked,
electrical contact was being made through the top, and pressing the
release button halfway triggered the flash.  This also resulted in
premature triggering, ruining the synchronization.  My hunch: you need
to have Leica or a knowledgeable repair person check  the internal
location of the curtain trigger contact, to be sure it is not hitting
the metal top.

As to problem #1, I have that M6 at home, and will try to see if it
will "wake" the SF20.  I seem to recall that it would not.

Maybe this is a serial number issue.  What is your serial #?  I think
mine was made around 1984.  Maybe a lot of older M6 cameras have this
problem, but it is not widely known, since the camera is not often used
with flash.

Of course, my M6 TTL has no such problems, and works perfectly with
flash.

Regards,
Bob Rose

Rick Dykstra wrote:
. . .
1.  Once the flash had gone into standby after three minutes my M6
would not reactivate it upon lightly touching the shutter button, even

though the light meter would activate.
. . .
2.  With the M6 Classic in an uncocked state depressing the shutter
button nearly down to the release point would trigger the flash (if
active), without releasing the shutter.
. . .