Subject: [Leica] Article about HCB
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:11:54 -0700

Martin is absolutely correct.  Also, in yesterday's Los Angeles Times
Magazine, was an article about the film school at the University of
California, Santa Barbara.  Instead of teaching technique or even film
history, the film school concentrates on "film theory".  This turns out
to be philosophy, not film, and certainly not art.   It has more in
common with the deconstructionists such as Derrida, and is decidedly
(and openly) left-wing political theory.

That being said, from the HCB article I had the impression that HCB was
pompous, and self-important.  He seems to denigrate photography,
forgetting that his wife is a photographer.  He also comes across
pretentious, and again confuses pi (3.14...) with the Golden Ratio phi
(1.618...), which he calls the "Golden Rule."  (Of course, as we noted
before, that could simply be the error of his interviewers.)  I would be
interested to know if others had the same reaction to the article.

The man has a body of photographic work that stands on its own, and is
excellent.  I think he is right to keep his privacy, for at the moment
he doesn't have much to say.

Bob Rose

Martin Howard wrote:
>>Show me any artist who thinks that art is in talking about it rather

than doing it, and I'll show you a quasi-intellectual wannabe artist
philosophy major.

>>That doesn't mean to say that talking about various aspects of art
cannot be interesting and fruitful in its own right -- but it doesn't
constitute art in itself.  Unless, of course, you're a
quasi-intellectual wanna be artist philosophy major who then goes on to

label it a "performance piece".