Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures from New York
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:56:59 -0500

>Incidentally, one or two people have said they look dark.  They look
>fine on my monitor but I use a Mac.  I have had problems before with
>Mac scans looking too dark on PCs.  Didn't I read somewhere that the
>gamma is different?

The gamma is different for both color & BW:

* Windows: Color = sRGB, B&W = 2.2
* Mac: Color = AppleRGB, B&W = 1.8

What makes it worse is that the Windows Explorer ignores the embedded
profile tags in JPEG/TIFFs, assuming everything is Windows standard
(the Mac version of Explorer is ColorSync aware).

So..... before I upload anything to the web, I usually change the
profile to sRGB/2.2 and embed the tags.

Darn it.

Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com