Subject: Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:20:00 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:

> Another example of cost over customer satisfaction.  How much more could it
> possibly cost to engrave vs silk screen?  A few bucks on a $2500 camera?
> Idiots.  At least the Japanese understand their market and demand that Leica
> service it.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

The way things look verses the way they perform is an issue that has
gone by me a few times this month.

An example in mind is the lenses for the Contax RTS and the whole
"Contax" SLR system's AF and otherwise.
All painted numbers. Zeiss glass made in Japan. Bad combination.
The lenses look like Vivitar's of decades gone by. They sure as hell
don't look like Hasselblad or Rolleiflex 600 x glass.
The glass are Zeiss designs which I'm sure are executed excellently. (An
excellent execution!)
Hence they don't get my money. I don't care how well they shoot I'm not
going to spend thousands of dollars om something that looks like junk. I
keep waiting for them to come out with a new group of lenses which look
decent. They never do. I guess they'd make the other onces look bad.
This didn't stop Nikon.

Has the Leica MP been junked up by a silk-screened top? That I'll have
to see. I know part of the point was to get it off the front. Less to
lip read while beening photographed.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com