Subject: Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate
From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:45:17 -0400

Engraving would take:
1)  fixturing to hold the top cover
2)  programming to trace the engraving, or machinery.  Today, likely it
would be CNC engraving - could even be the machines that I see in
shopping malls.
3)  alternative would be to stamp the "Leica" script.
4)  note that Leica would already have the engraving machinery for the
serial numbers and other lettering - with the S/N unique to each top
5)  once the top is painted black or chromed, that engraving would have
to be filled with paint by hand, and the paint cured.

Screen printing would be:
1)  fixture a bunch of tops, at the FINAL step of processing
2)  slap on the Leica script with white or black paint

Yes, the engraving is a lot more to do from a process cost side.  But on
the top, there is already engraving, so the incremental cost should be
smaller.

Now, would I NOT buy a $2000+ camera because it wasn't engraved?  I'd
seriously think about now waiting for the MP prices to plummet, instead
of being "in the lineup early."

 It isn't like I'm thinking of buying a $2000+ Leica RF camera for its
feature set (manual camera with LED metering???  I hate LED metering,
I'd much rather have the M5 needle metering, but I would like an
authentic Leica black paint camera).  I'm buying a Leica for its
irrational emotional charm, and a silk-screened logo is only irrational,
with no charm.

Maybe I'll save the money and buy a couple more M5's, or maybe splurge
and buy a real black enamel M4.

sigh.....

Vick