Subject: [Leica] Adapter Question (and Hexar RF)
From: BenMarks@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:23:43 -0400

Ha!  LOL.  Ernie, I'm sure you are right.  Still, you can always hope that some inventive machinist has put some thought into it.

I wouldn't want to suggest, here of all places, that I was trying to figure out a way NOT to buy an M7.  You know, I have put my hands on half a dozen Hexar RFs in the vain hopes of saving a few $$, just to play, and (pace Dante) I have not been able to get the focus markings on my lenses, while on the Hexar, duplicate those on my M6/M4-P/M3 (same subject/same distance and all of that).  It is true that I have not taken a single picture with the Hexar RF together with one of my lenses, and that my test was anything but scientific, but the observed differences on the focus scales of my lenses made me leery of plunking down good money (which, after all, will probably be needed to go towards an M7 someday anyway).  Also, I didn't LOVE the rangefinder (not as snappy as my Leicas or even my Bessa R).  Incidentally, I have been to Dante's website and love his pics taken with the Hexar, but I just couldn't pull the trigger.

So when I had the XPan out the other day, I found myself thinking "what if . . . "

In all probability, the price of having someone design and machine a one-off adapter would dwarf the cost of an M7 (certainly it would be more than the cost of a Hexar RF).  Still, I'm one of those odd-balls who looks at the adapter page on Stephen Gandy's site and starts thinking of amusing combinations.  I know, it's a sickness.  ;)