Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: , and a plea for wisdom now long response
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:51:38 -0400

Eric has the right idea.  Buy the best even if it is just one lens or
so.

What are the best lenses?  Starting at 21 the choices are legion.  The
absolute best is the 21 ASPH from Leica.  However, if you shoot this
focal length stopped down then buy the 21 Skopar.  By 5.6 almost no
difference.

At 24, again, the 24 ASPH wins by a really large margin.  Here, stay
with Leica.

At 28, the Summicron is a must have lens if you shoot at F2.  If you
typically shoot at F4 or beyond then the Cosina offerings are good or
perhaps a 28 Elmarit with body wear.  If you decide against the
Summicron, then make a list of three or four lenses and wait until a
cheap one on the list shows up.

At 35mm you will have to beg, borrow, steal, buy and return, until you
find the flavor you like.  This focal length is just like wine or
watches or Scotch.  Many choices, many price points, many vary different
outputs, just as many mechanical differences.  I personally prefer the
Summicron IV just before the ASPH came out, but I must have six 35mm RF
lenses still knocking about.

At 50mm the latest Summicron would be my first choice.  If you happen
upon a Konica 50 stripped from the Konica RF at a good price then that
will give very similar performance.

For now skip the 75 until you have a good feel for needing this look.

At 90, this is almost as bad as the 35.  If you find that this is a
seldom used lens on your RF then buy any of the 50's 85's that you come
upon cheap. Nikon, Canon, Zeiss Sonnar, Jupiter whatever are all kissing
cousins and deliver outstanding performance by 2.8 and very good
performance at F2.  If you decide to buy one of the Jupiter I highly
recommend that you see it in person and mount it on your camera.  These
lenses can be very good but can also be very bad.

On the other hand, if you like the 90 on your rangefinder then you next
have to determine whether you need F2 or not.  If so then spend the
money on the 90AA.  The 90AA is stunningly good at all apertures.  If
2.8 work then the new Elmarit is just as good.  I have reason to think
that the offerings from Konica and Cosina are in the same league so what
comes up cheap is what would make up my mind.

Now, to your specific question as it relates to me in order of
acquisition.
M6 Classic
35 Summicron IV
24 ASPH