Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica light meters
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:20:32 -0400

Welcome to the amazing LUG Bill.

The Leicameter operates just as many older meters do.  The inner ring
sets the ASA/ISO/DIN/Weston setting.  If your meter is as old a mine it
only goes up to 200 ASA.

With the sensor window facing away from you there should be three arrows
on the left of the top plate.  One is a solid black, one is an open
arrow and the arrow closest to the meter window has an inner arrow.

In good light (daylight) the moving arm of the meter will reach into the
alternating bands of black and chrome just to the left of the window.
To take a reading, just align the black arrow on the outer moving ring
with the moving arm.  Your reading will be the combination of
apertures/shutter speeds on the other side of the ring.  Use whatever
combination works for your situation.

If the light is not strong, then your first option is to push the lever
on the left side (meter cell still pointing forward) forward.  While
holding the lever forward align the hollow arrow with the moving arm.

If the light is still too low, then attach the booster cell.  This time
you will use the pointer with the arrow in the arrow.

As an aside, you can calibrate the meter by using the sunny 16 rule.  On
a clear day in late morning or early afternoon point the meter at a
clear north sky and set 125/16 on the outer ring.  Then adjust the ASA
ring to whatever ASA lines up the arrows with the pointer.  Hopefully
the ASA will be 125, but in any case you will now have an accurate
meter.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com