Subject: [Leica] Weekend Wedding
From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:26:33 -0700 (PDT)

This past weekend we had another wedding in the
family. This one was very unusual for us as it was an
orthodox service.

Some background: before the actual ceremony the men
gather in one room with the groom (for a "tish") and
the women gather in another with the bride (for a
"bodekin"). At the tish, the men get drunk on straight
shots and try to distract the groom from giving a
religious teaching (from the torah).
http://www.leica-gallery.net/rgacpa/image-49265.html

The groom then signs the marriage contract.
http://www.leica-gallery.net/rgacpa/image-49264.html

Then the groom goes with the men to the bedikin and
lifts the veil of the bride to make sure it's the
right bride. They then make their way to the chupa (a
tent like structure with no sides) which represents
their first home.
http://www.leica-gallery.net/rgacpa/image-49262.html

The bride comes down and circles the groom 7 times
(representing the 7 days of creation).
http://www.leica-gallery.net/rgacpa/image-49263.html

Then seven prayers are spoken, a ring placed on the
bride's finger,
http://www.leica-gallery.net/rgacpa/image-49266.html

and a glass broken.
http://www.leica-gallery.net/rgacpa/image-49261.html

The broken glass symbolizes many things; for one, that
all should remember at this moment of greatest joy
there are still things broken in the world that we
must not forget, for another that after this moment
things will never be the same just as a broken dish is
never the same. After the ceremony there is much
dancing, celebrating and general mayhem...for hours!

Though this was my nephews wedding, none in our family
had ever attended such a ceremony (he's become
orthodox all on his own in Berkeley...where else :-)
We didn't know quite what to expect, but were happy to
be there.

At any rate, here are my out of focus attempts to
capture some of the mood. Techy stuff: M7, 35,2 Fuji
NPS

Thanks for looking. Any suggestions alway appreciated.

Bob

=====
Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA