Subject: RE: [Leica] Please critique Bangkok picture
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:10:22 -0400

Hi Mitch,

This sure is not a cliche travel photo of Bangkok!
Here goes, intended in the best spirit of constructive
criticism:

Contrast looks too flat for my taste.
Separation of man on motorbike from background would be nice.
(wait or have him tilt his head the other way, or move back
to the shaft of light coming from the left).  I Would have liked
to see him and his bike a bit more in focus.
The statue of Buddha seems incongruous with the immediate
surrounding; I would have explored that incongruity more.
It's not clear that you intentionally wants the other man
behind the statue.  (Is that a vegetable street
vendor ? ).  I am also not clear about your choice of film
and aperture.  I would have gone with a higher ISO, if necessary,
and shoot at a smaller aperture (f16 maybe, on a 28mm lens, at that
distance).  But then again, the film might have been chosen for
something totally different, so we just shoot with what's in the
camera at the moment.  Anyway, all of this makes the photo
unsatisfying to me.

That said, I would like to see more of your (and everyone else's)
photos.  I am a photo junkie.

Cheers,

- - Phong