Subject: RE: [Leica] Please critique Bangkok picture
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:49:09 -0400

Mitch,

Perhaps you could say something about why this particular scene caught
your eye.

My first impression is that the print is flat, nothing interesting or
compelling about the lighting, and, if anything, it seems a bit
underexposed on my monitor.

Second, I don't see any especial subject here, or, rather, you're asking
me to choose the subject from at least three possibilites: the chap on
the motorcycle, the chap tending his vegetables (or goosing the Buddah,
hard to say which), or the Buddha himself, none of which is sufficiently
well defined to draw my immediate attention to it.

Finally, there's no real gestalt here should your intent be to capture a
sort of "environmental moment."  None of the disparate elements come
together in any sort of mutually reinforcing way: no strong graphic
element; no striking interaction between the folk in the scene.  In part
this is because you don't seem very engaged with them.  In this case,
you're using the 28 as though it were a 50, when the scene cries for you
to stick this lens virtually into the cyclist's face (to fill a
significant portion of the frame) or to move to longer focal length, if,
indeed, this is your subject.

I stand by David Douglass Duncan's famous axiom: "First get close, then
get closer," which is damned intimidating, but this scence cries for it.

Otherwise this is a snapshot of no particular distinction.

Chandos