Subject: RE: [Leica] 180mm Elmarit-R question
From: Randy Jensen <randy@jamzcheer.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:21:13 -0700

I had the same dilemma when I bought mine.  I found a book on Leica lenses
and it stated that the newer version (1980 on) was completely redesigned
optically.  I was patient and finally got a pretty good deal on the newer
version.  I am extremely happy with it, and it actually made me sell my
135/2.8 because the damn 135 weighed as much as the 180, and I stopped using
it.

I use the 180 extensively during wedding ceremonies because of the speed,
light weight, and amazing results.  Definitely go for the new one unless you
get the old one dirt cheap.

It also looks great with the (older non-APO) 2x converter.  360/5.6 is not
bad when you need long glass...

Randy
www.randyjensenphoto.com