Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Digital: Our divided loyalties
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:38:29 -0600

Jim Laurel wrote in part:

>The good news is that the major film manufacturers have, even recently, been
>investing in new emulsions.  The equipment used to produce film and process
>it will need to be depreciated.  That will take time, so I can see film
>being around for a while yet.  As demand wanes and production decreases,
>film prices will rise.  I'm doubtful that Fuji, Kodak, or Agfa will continue
>to pour R&D resources into film technology going forward.

When Fuji, Kodak, Agfa and Ilford decide to get out of the film
manufacturing business they will have the physical plants, processes and
technological brain trust to dispose of and I suspect today's smaller
film manufacture companies will take advantage of these future deals
whether they be outright purchases or manufacturing under a
license/royalty scheme. Film availability I suspect will out live us all.

Regards,

Greg

Message from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Digital: Our divided loyalties)