Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Digital: Our divided loyalties
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:57:47 -0700

Adam Bridge wrote:

> I think most of use seldom use more than what digital gives us. Do you
> put your
> M on a tripod to shoot or only shoot at 1/1000th? If you don't are you
> REALLY
> getting the full benefit of that Leica glass?

And BD Colen chimed in:

> For that matter, most of the iconic
> which have, over the decades, been shot with Leicas could just as
> easily
> be shot with any other brand of camera.

One of the main reasons for using Leica glass is that it mounts
correctly on Leica rangefinder cameras.  One of the main reason for
using Leica rangefinder cameras is that they allow you to take engage
in a certain style of photography which is difficult at best, and
impossible at worst, to do with any other kind of camera.  The quick,
unintrusive, decisive moment, documentation of everyday life around you.

LF and MF can't do it (with the possible exception of TLRs in some
cases).  SLRs are not much use either, often being too slow and even if
they are not, looking through the VF of a zone-focussed SLR (with
things potentially out of focus) is a disruptive experience.  Digital
(with VERY few exceptions -- Casio ELIXIM [not zoom model] for example
- -- but then you have quality issues) is faaar too slow for this.

A pre-focussed, pre-set (shutter speed & aperture) Leica rangefinder
provides a combination of unintrusiveness, speed, and image quality
which you are very hard pressed to match with any other system.  In
doing so, it puts you in a mindset and makes you open to images that
you would not see if you could not work in this way.

Arguments that unless you're bolting your M cameras onto heavy tripods
and shoot at 1/1000s  at f/8 on EI 64 or your not using the full
benefit of Leica glass entirely and completely misses the whole damn
point of their existance in the first place.

M.

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Digital: Our divided loyalties)