Subject: Re: [Leica] Old 400 Telyt f6.8 on R8 Question...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:27:36 -0700

Marc Attinasi asked:
>>Old 400 Telyt f6.8 on R8 Question.<<<..

> I purchased a 400 Telyt f6.8 to use on my R8, and had an R cam added.
> When I mount the lens on the R8 it shows f2.4. Is this correct, and how
> can the metering modes of the R8 be used effectively with this
> (stop-down) lens? The lens will be wide-open 99% of the time, I'd like
> to use aperture priority if it will work, but I also know how to use
> manual metering :-)<<<

Hi Marc,
This is something similar to the R8 and the 280 2.8 when it's wide open,
only the aperture shown in the camera is 3.4.  I never think about it
because I'm shooting wide open and let the camera decide what the shutter
speed should be to correspond to a correct exposure.

It works fine, so don't give it a thought, just put the lens on, set the
aperture wide open or where ever you require and shoot away! Heck I rarely
ever bother looking at everything in the viewfinder as I'm too busy focusing
& shooting.

I'd say 99.999999% of my exposures are aperture priority on the R8's and
very rarely do I have a screw-up on exposure. And that's inside and out!

Heck, at worse it would only cost a roll of cheap B&W film to find out how
the lens / camera work by shooting a few frames, take a few notes and
compare the results for your definitive answer. However, I don't believe
you'll have any problems at all. Go for it.
ted