Subject: [Leica] Re: Full circle with brand 'N'
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:43:42 +0100

I think it depends on the sport whether autofocus is appropriate. I
have worked in the motor racing business most of my life - as an
engineer. I know all the regular professional photographers well. Most
have switched from Nikon to Canon over the last 25 years. The only
regular Leica R user - an Italian - I have not seen for a few years. I
saw one of the video cameramen taking B&W shots in the pits with a
Titanium M6 at the French GP at Magny Cours last weekend. Otherwise no
Leicas.
None of the best photographers I know use the autofocus much for
anything but grab shots. The reason is the desire to choose themselves
where the focus point is. Using fast lenses wide open and autofocus
rarely leads to the ideal part of the subject being in focus. Manually
shifting the autofocus point is too slow to be useful. They use Canon
for the lenses.
I am sure in slower sports it is useful. I find AF great for children
and dogs!
I like manual focus, but I also prefer manual wind if the motorised
alternative is any heavier or bulkier. Put a Leica 1 next to a Nikon F5
or Eos1v with the ubiquitous booster, say to yourself - these devices
produce the same size negatives - and decide how many the "advances" in
modern cameras are worth it. I am a keen amateur and I am simply not
prepared to carry something that big, professionals have quite
different requirements.
cheers
Frank