Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:16:09 -0700

Don Dory wrote:

> Ok guys and gals,
> Nikon got caught with their pants down with the F3.  I believe it came
> out in 1983.  Minolta brought out autofocus in about 1985.  The F4 was
> brought out in what 1987?  If I recall correctly, most pros stuck with
> their no battery required F2 as long as they could.  So for the majority
> of shooters, they either stayed with the old reliable F2 or migrated to
> the F4 for autofocus and a far better integrated motor.  In summary, the
> F3 was the top model for Nikon for only about four years.
>
> The reason Nikon still has F3's for sale is that no one will buy one
> new.  Shoot, you can hardly sell an F5 for any price above a grand.
>
> Don
> dorysrus@mindspring.com

Some thoughts on this Don:
The F4's and 5's i see many of priced to sell seemed to have been used
by pros or very very serious amateurs.
Or rubbed down with 3M green abrasive cloth.
The F3's on the other hand seem to come very clean. Used by collectors
and traders who no doubt got tired of seeing it on their shelves and
wanted something different which attracts less dust..

What impresses me is the fact that the F3 represents an older age of
35mm camera use and design when you could take the motor drive off and
then advance the little camera with your thumb. And carry the camera
with you in a small bag all day.
(This of course is what we do with our Leica M's and LTM's maybe not
R8's and 9's)
But don't forget the spare batteries. I bet the batteries are Mercuric
Iodide Lithium crystal Uranium #12 nerve gas pellets.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com