Subject: Re: [Leica] CANADA DAY & USA INDEPENDENCE DAY. :-)
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:15:10 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:
> Rolfe Tessem asked:
>
>>Ted,
>>
>>I have to admit that I'm clueless as to what event July 1 commemorates
>>in Canada. Can you enlighten us here south of the border? :-)
>>
>>Obviously, it is not Canadian independence, since Canada is still a part
>>of the British Empire, oops, I mean Commonwealth. :-).<<<
>

> Hi Rolfe
> Well yes we are part of a "Commonwealth of Nations" created after the demise
> of the British Empire, But we as Canadians and Canada are as independent a
> country just as you are in the USA.
>
> We aren't responsible to any other country nor the Queen, as revered as She
> is, she's merely a figure head of respect of our Nation. It's like she's the
> Queen of Canada, but without any authority over what we do or say. Has
> absolutely no control over what this Nation does or how it acts,
> parliamentary, governing  or other wise.
>
> July 1 is the date of our, what at one time was called "Dominion of Canada"
> day. As in the founding of the Dominion of Canada within part of the British
> Empire. Then in 1982 Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau took action to make
> Canada an independent country and the name of the day was changed to,
> "Canada Day."
>
> Which of course created a great deal of angst between Canadians of old
> British stock and new Canadians of other nationalities. However, as the old
> died off and young Canadians grew up knowing only Canada Day the angst has
> passed. So now we're pretty well all wild and wooly Canadians on Canada day.
>
> So in effect our Canada Day isn't much different than your ID 4, except ours
> came about without the violence of war and civil strife your founding
> fathers endured. So I hope this helps you understand a tiny bit more of your
> northern neighbour. :-)

Ted,

Thanks for the history lesson. I really had no idea...

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> ([Leica] CANADA DAY & USA INDEPENDENCE DAY. :-))
Message from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] CANADA DAY & USA INDEPENDENCE DAY. :-))
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] CANADA DAY & USA INDEPENDENCE DAY. :-))