Subject: Re: [Leica] CANADA DAY & USA INDEPENDENCE DAY. :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:12:55 -0700

Rolfe Tessem asked:
> Ted,
>
> I have to admit that I'm clueless as to what event July 1 commemorates
> in Canada. Can you enlighten us here south of the border? :-)
>
> Obviously, it is not Canadian independence, since Canada is still a part
> of the British Empire, oops, I mean Commonwealth. :-).<<<

Hi Rolfe
Well yes we are part of a "Commonwealth of Nations" created after the demise
of the British Empire, But we as Canadians and Canada are as independent a
country just as you are in the USA.

We aren't responsible to any other country nor the Queen, as revered as She
is, she's merely a figure head of respect of our Nation. It's like she's the
Queen of Canada, but without any authority over what we do or say. Has
absolutely no control over what this Nation does or how it acts,
parliamentary, governing  or other wise.

July 1 is the date of our, what at one time was called "Dominion of Canada"
day. As in the founding of the Dominion of Canada within part of the British
Empire. Then in 1982 Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau took action to make
Canada an independent country and the name of the day was changed to,
"Canada Day."

Which of course created a great deal of angst between Canadians of old
British stock and new Canadians of other nationalities. However, as the old
died off and young Canadians grew up knowing only Canada Day the angst has
passed. So now we're pretty well all wild and wooly Canadians on Canada day.

So in effect our Canada Day isn't much different than your ID 4, except ours
came about without the violence of war and civil strife your founding
fathers endured. So I hope this helps you understand a tiny bit more of your
northern neighbour. :-)
regards,
ted

Replies: Reply from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] CANADA DAY & USA INDEPENDENCE DAY. :-))