Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:53:52 -0700 (PDT)

LUGer Bee Flowers has a number of digital photos on
his website which look just fine to me. But I believe
these are composite photos created from multiple
exposures. The technique is covered in John Paul
Caponigro's Advanced Photoshop book published by Adobe
Press (if I could have one and only PS book, this
would be it, hands down) The technique effectively
makes the digital camera tripod-bound, and it's back
to bracketing like crazy, but digital photography is
still newish and I suppose it'll take awhile for
things to sort themselves out. Be thankful that's all
we're dealing with: Imagine handling wet glass plates
and mercury vapors!

As for low-light performance, we could take a cue from
astrophotographers and CHILL the imaging chips in our
digital cameras to reduce noise; the closer to
absolute zero, the better ;-)

Jeff

>Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:24:53 -0400
>From: "caliguri@rcn.com" <caliguri@rcn.com>
>Subject: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot
>.. .. yet
>
>BUT at the end of it al, they had one major complaint
>about digital (besides the usual we gripe about -
>shutter lag etc) but the brightness gamut! It could
>not be mage to look as good as a scanned immage or a
>film print. Higlights were always blown out, dark
>areas were just in the dumps - neither could be
>rescued. I just thought it was interesting to see a
>bunch of very bright photo neophytes SEE the exact
>same thing! All seemed to leave with the impression
>that digital is OK for the web, or shoot on a bright
>overcast day - but if you want it all, stay with
film.