Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has WON? Yes, but how about a lesson on Densitiometers
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:32:59 -0700 (PDT)

Ansel Adams (The Negative) and Phil Davis (Beyond The
Zone System) have pretty well documented the "how" and
"why" of densitometer useage better than I will
attempt. But in brief, if you really want to maximize
your control over print tonality and contrast, sooner
or later you're going to find one very handy.

One of the most basic uses is to determine the
effective film speed for a given film/chemistry combo.
The most direct approach is to expose a series of
frames of film at Zone I, at manufacturer's
recommended film speed, and a series of others at
above and below it. Process per manufacturer's
recommendation and locate the frame which corresponds
to X density units above filmbase+fog, and you've
found your effective film speed for this particular
film/chemistry combo. Exactly what "X" is seems to be
subject to some debate, but Adams suggested 0.10
density units over filmbase+fog. Maybe someone could
chime in with suggestions on whether this figure needs
to be revised when working with newer emulsions like
Acros.

Once we've established the effective film speed, we
can go on to determine proper N, N- and N+ developing
times.

The problem of devoutly following the Zone System is
that you'll probably never take another photo again,
save for Zone I and Zone VIII test exposures, because
in theory, you should run the tests for EVERY meter
and shutter that you own. And I don't care how good
you are, getting a precise 0.10 Zone I test exposure
repeatedly is really tough, particularly if you're
using mechanical shutters. For this reason, I think
David Vestal nailed it in a column about his relaxed,
"sort of Zone System" (Vestal At Large, Photo
Techniques, issue ??)

Heiland (of Wetzlar!) has a unit that looks especially
handy for the b&w photographer: It's a simple
digital-readout model that works in both transmission
(for examining negatives) and reflection (good for
evaluating prints) modes. But many of the used
densitometers on eBay should work as well.

Jeff

>Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:33:04 +1000
>From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
>Subject: [Leica] Digital has WON? Yes, but how about
a >lesson on Densitiometers

>Speaking of the darkroom: any one like to tell me
about >densitometers