Subject: RE: [Leica] New Holy War--Film Scanners
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:02:05 -0400

> Depends on what you want from the scanner. For me, a Nikon Super Coolscan
> 4000ED would be a minimum. It has to run Firewire or USB 2.0 - preferably
> the former. And it has to run in OS X. (Which the Nikon does just fine).

That's an excellent scanner, and a great recommendation...but my only
hesitation on that unit would be if it has the LED light source, which can
create two problems.  One is dust and scratches show up far more than with a
non-LED light source...and that's why they include dust and scratch removal
software, the second is it seems to have a very shallow depth of field, and
therefore, unless the film is perfectly flat, you can get fuzzy areas...

What's your experience been with these two issues, Eric?

Regards,

Austin