Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Just went MF, need scanner advice
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:58:12 -0400

Hi Gilbert,

> I've been using it for about a year and a half. I run it under
> ViewScan, though some people like the recently updated Minolta
> software.

It did look very very good from what I saw in the PDF manual I downloaded to
check it out.  I'm suitably impressed.

> You are correct about the change of magnification, the
> optical resolution for MF is 3200 dpi; in the 35mm mode it scans a
> strip down the center at greater magnification to get 4800 dpi. This is
> NOT an interpolated resolution. I'm sure that you, as a Leaf owner,
> will agree with me that the extra 800 dpi the Minolta offers over the
> Nikon or Polaroid 4000 dpi units makes a great difference in image
> quality.

Yes, it CAN, but that depends on a lot of things...  I've seen other Minolta
scanners that are 3200 optical resolution, not give better than 2400...so
I've been skeptical of stated resolutions by Minolta.  Specifically,
Minolta.  Other manufacturers don't seem to have as much of an issue with
this...why, I haven't explored yet.

> One caveat: Minolta customer service in the US really sucks.

I'm bummed to hear that...and sorry to hear of your problem with their
service.

I'd love to see some full resolution scans from it!  Are there any on-line
comparisons of it vs the Nikon vs the Polaroid?

Regards,

Austin