Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Just went MF, need scanner advice
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:08:09 -0400

Austin,

I've been using it for about a year and a half. I run it under
ViewScan, though some people like the recently updated Minolta
software. You are correct about the change of magnification, the
optical resolution for MF is 3200 dpi; in the 35mm mode it scans a
strip down the center at greater magnification to get 4800 dpi. This is
NOT an interpolated resolution. I'm sure that you, as a Leaf owner,
will agree with me that the extra 800 dpi the Minolta offers over the
Nikon or Polaroid 4000 dpi units makes a great difference in image
quality.

One caveat: Minolta customer service in the US really sucks. I had to
return mine under warranty (it was giving me a small band of noise
across the frame, seemed to be a stepper motor or gear problem?) and
they shipped it back without locking down the transport as per their
own instructions. Needless to say it got back to me broken worse than
when I sent it in. I had to return it two more times before they would
admit there was anything wrong with it, at which point they replaced
it. What's more, I live only 45 minutes away form the repair facility
but they insisted that I ship it UPS ground, refusing to allow me to
bring it in; they cited security concerns over terrorism as the reason
they refuse walk-ins. By the time I got done I was ready to show them
personally what terror is! I was without the machine for over a month.

Gilbert