Subject: [Leica] R8/9 Digital Back Commentary
From: John Bohner <johnbohner@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:41:49 -0700

I've just returned from my local Leica dealer where I had a nice chat about
the new digital offering.  He brought up a point that I don't remember
seeing go by in the blizzard of recent postings, so I offer it here.  I
appologize if its already been done to death.

As to the feared obsolescence of a 10 MP sensor it was pointed out that new
digital "back" is actually two modules.  There is a sensor/back module and
a power/memory card module. It was the dealer's position that this will
allow follow-on sensor changes without having to buy either a new body or a
new power module. This seems to suggest that Leica is aware of a need or a
desire by its users to have the fattest sensor available.

All in all, as a non pro- R8 user with a modest investment in glass the
digital offering is okay but a still a bit pricy.  I applaud the flexibilty
of a digital option.  Still, I look at my slides on the wall, projected by
a Leica projector and compare to any digital display (short of printing)
and wonder why buy Leica only to be displayed by Sony or ViewSonic?

John B