Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Back - I like the first step!
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:54:15 -0400

> looks like they had boilerplate ready for that question:
>
> [25/Jun/2003:18:30:14] <Leica host 4> jira: Can you try to compare the
> (aimed) digital photo quality with current top 35mm films? Leica: With
> almost all applications the same image quality can be expected.
> Experience made by Kodak with their 6.8 µm pixel architecture lets us
> expect an excellent image quality especially in conjunction with Leica
> lenses.
>
> 25/Jun/2003:18:51:37] <Leica host 3> luoyan: In terms of the image
> quality, could the quality of picture made by digital back would be as
> good as the picture made by film? thank you.Leica: With almost all
> applications the same image quality can be expected. Experience made
> by Kodak with their 6.8 µm pixel architecture lets us expect an
> excellent image quality especially in conjunction with Leica lenses.

Hi Sonny,

And a reasonably meaningless answer by Leica!  If the sensor array is only
10u x 10u, and it has A 6.8um sensor element (it's NOT a pixel), it won't
give you much of a picture.  If you have a 60mm x 60mm sensor array with
6.8um sensor elements (again, these are NOT pixels, unless the sensor is a
monochromatic sensor, which it is not), you have one hell of a sensor.

With digital, the actual sensor element size is only relevant in relation to
the overall size of the sensor array, and just stating the sensor element
size by it self, is, as I said, really meaningless.  And, for a 24 x 17 (or
what ever it is) size sensor array they are using, well, it's OK, but it's
still a Bayer pattern sensor, and it's still rather small...and it still
doesn't have near the amount of data that 35mm film offers.

To claim the "same image quality" can be expected is just pure BS.

Austin