Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:42:09 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/03 1:44:02 PM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< Uh, hello? All of this discussion of archival media is fascinating, but
would anyone on this list of hobbyists and working pros care to tell us
what loss it would be to the world if some of our images faded a bit or
just plain disappeared? I'd certainly love to be discovered after my
death like a Disfarmer, but somehow I doubt that's in the cards. ;-)>>

Ask any archeologist.  They study remains of previous civilizations.
Anthropologists study current human populations.  Once upon a time, anthropologists
generally studied the male part of civilizations.  Females cultural patterns
were boring to them and thus a great deal of information as it related it what
females did, how they did it, etc, was lost. Yes, I think that history is
history and when they look back on our civilization, all our photos of us standing
proudly in front of our gas guzzling cars, massive homes with manicured,
fertilized, lawns could be very illustrative of the values of our culture.  That
along with our strange rituals of blowing out candles on cakes, flashing breasts
to photo takers for strands of beads, proud displays of large dead fish or
animals being held by happy hunters.  The all of it tells us, and future
generations about ourselves.

- -kim