Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak stock is down(way down!) this morning.
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:15:52 -0400

Seth,
Not to hammer Kodak, but this is a medium format chip which will have
miniscule market penetration.  Think it through, studio backs represent what
percent of the market?  For an investment in a photo related field I would
consider the Canon depository receipts.  This company is a lot like
Microsoft, you don't have to like them or their products but they keep
coming up with new products until they dominate a segment.  In photography,
they were humiliated by Nikon in the very late fifties with the F.  They
plotted a comeback for over ten years to release their F1, redesigned it
shortly thereafter, redesigned it again a few years later to make it more
appealing to consumers.  All the while working on glass and optics to make
better lenses.  When challenged by autofocus, they were the only company to
really look at what was coming and design a vehicle for the digital
age(electronics).  All the while they dominated the consumer side where the
real money was with their Sure Shots ad nauseum and A every where line.

I firmly believe that Kodak had (has) the best brains in research.  Yet they
keep stumbling due to bureaucratic meetingitis (disposables) or marketing
failures (APS, photo CD, Ektar, 100 speed slide films always changing ...).

I think the stock slide, this is purely speculation, is due to rumors of the
dividend being cut.  The joke in the industry is if it is March then Kodak
is cutting another 10,000 employees in a one time cost cutting move.  Kodak
thought it was so wonderful when it captured the dominant market share for
film in China over Fuji: then digital happened.

What I would look for is an investment opportunity if some of the
researchers ever broke away and formed their own company.

If you want a stock that pays a good dividend, then look into Post
Properties.  They have been paying in the 9% range, just got out of a fairly
bloody proxy battle with the prior chairman and dominate the upper middle
apartment class in the SE US.  Even though he lost the proxy battle, John
Williams knows how to win in the apartment wars and is still involved with
the company.  Sort of like Dr Land still being around to guide his company.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Message from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Kodak stock is down(way down!) this morning.)
Message from John Nebel <nebel@csdco.com> (Re: [Leica] Kodak stock is down(way down!) this morning.)