Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Courtesy (was Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:44:25 -0700

Jim Laurel wrote:
>> > Unfortunately, courtesy is on the decline in the West.  We face
increasing
> > incivility every day.  Automobile drivers shout and make rude gestures
> > at one another, teachers suffer abusive language from students, and
> > reality tv shows assail us with rude behavior and coarse language
constantly.
> > Amidst this backdrop, there is a false, patronizing courtesy, that you
get
> > from civil and corporate servants.<<<<

An unfortunate state of uncaring and being impolite seems to be the in
thing. And for whatever reason I can't imagine.  I mean how much effort does
it take to say "thank you, please and may I help you?"

Hold the door for a lady, regardless of age to enter a shop and you rarely
get a "thanks.' Or with the odd one you might get a glaring.."I can do it
myself and what do you want?" look.

I hate bringing up the past because many younger people go, "Oh hell here he
goes again." ;-)

For those of you who ride the public transit system on a crowses bus or
street car, when was the last time you saw a "gentleman" give his seat to a
lady, young or old? And not for any nefarious reason other than being
polite. Just saying "good morning" as you pass a stranger simply because it
is a wonderful good morning.

In John Collier's post ...>>Density goes up, civility goes down.<< I suppose
that's true because we have so many humans these days, not to forget the
SOB's who are out to rob or whatever to another which in turn means "don't
make eye contact" for fear of getting robbed or bashed for no reason at all.

Was it better in the good old days? Damn right it was in many respects!
Today? We need not look any further than right here on the LUG at times with
the extreme lack of civility, manners and trash language..... particularly
when we all know there are "ladies" as members. Why it's worse than a back
yard full of hoodlums, illiterates and malcontents rather than what one
should expect from a group of people capable of carrying leica cameras.

Courtesy? At times here the word doesn't even exist in the human language.

OK back to the medication that keeps me quiet, docile and playing with my
Leica! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant