Subject: Re: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 20:18:28 -0700

         At 10:17 AM 5/26/03 -0700j Gary Williams wrote, re. the rush to
digital:
> > Am I missing something here or has the world gone completely mad?

Gary:  The needs of a pro like Tina are very different from the the needs
of a high-end consumer who things he needs more modes and megapixels each
year in order to feel secure in life.

If I depended on photography for my living, I would have bought a pro
digital SLR a couple of years ago.  I'd only use the Leica for available
light B&W and personal stuff.  Not because I wanted to, but because I had to.

Editors want it NOW.  A while back, a critical mass of them decided that a
drop in image quality (sometimes big, sometimes not noticeable due to
reproduction methods) was less important than the speed and economy of the
results.  And that was basically that.  Three years ago, a friend was
interviewed to be a stringer for one of the wire services.  They wouldn't
even consider her unless she agreed to buy a digital camera.

I usually don't get paid for photography. So I have the luxury of choosing
my camera based on how it and its images make me feel.  So I can afford to
wait for Moore's law to really hit the high-end digital camera
market.  Right now it hasn't.  So I do most of my shooting with the
Leica.  I also picked up somebody's discarded Nikon Coolpix 990 on "the
auction site," essentially as a learning tool.  It allows me to play with
the processes and do some really fun macro work in the bargain.

Right now, digital cameras are either big and heavy, or they are
point-and-shoots.  I really would like the convenience, quick control and
ergonomics of a Leica or a classic small SLR in a pro-level digicam.  I'd
even wear a belt pack that had all the heavy stuff in it, and use a camera
connected to it by a cable or an RF/IR link if that was the only practical
way to do it.  But so far we are getting big heavy tanks with lots of bells
and whistles conspicuously displayed.  I'd like a tool that adapts to me,
ergonomically speaking.  I don't want to have to adapt my working methods
to the needs of marketeers peddling this year's must-have megapixels to
insecure gadget freaks.

But I can indulge these wants only because I'm not a pro, my editor is me,
and I'm willing to wait for myself to scan the film.  Still, every so often
I glance between my watch and the scanner and think, "If only I could get
everything I can get with film, but without the film."  When the technology
catches up with what I want at a price I can afford, I'll probably go
digital, too.  Given that I love available light B&W, rangefinder focusing,
the feel of a Leica and the quality of Leica optics, I suspect the Leica
isn't going away soon.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle