Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica loupe or alternative
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:17:58 +0200

snip

>I have been offered a 'like new' Emo Wetzlar Macromax 5x for a price
>that is about half of that of a new Leica lupe. Does this sound like a
>price worthy alternative?

From what I hear, the Leica loupe is optically identical to Emo.
Could very well be true if you look closely at them, one beside the
other.

Emo has a very good reputation but is not widely known. They make a
lot of optical devices, but their marketing is a bit old fashioned.
Do a Google search, perhaps they have a web site. I have some
literature from them, but I am travelling at the moment and these
papers are at home. Quite fascinating what they do.

I have a Schneider loupe which I bought cheaply when they changed the
looks of there loupes. Otherwise I would have bought an Emo. Tested
it against Leica and could see no difference.

I also have a 10x loupe, the name escapes me at the moment but it is
something that sounds like Berlebach the tripod maker. Very good for
assessing the technical quality of negatives and slides, but if you
go over 6x magnification then you cannot see the whole negative.

For the best price performance ratio look into used camera or slide
projector lenses in the 10 to 25 dollar range on swap meeets. The
best lens I have had for looking at negatives was an 85 mm slide
projector lens bought for $10,- Unfortunately those lenses have no
stand and tend to roll on the table.  They even roll  _off_  the
table. Mine did just that and crashed on the floor. So now I have the
Schneider.

Sorry for being so long, but it is On Topic.

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or