Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica...Canon Lens
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 15:25:28 -0700

Dave (senior citizen) wrote:  Attention: Ted (senior citizen)  ;-)

>>Having been reading LUG digest for some time I have seen people talk about
> sealing wax, cabbages and kings. Following my posting I noticed comments
> regarding the Canon D10 digital. By the way I had several emails from LUG
> readers, who use Leicas but also Canon.
> 'The purpose of communication is to inform or pass on ideas.'

Hi Dave,
Well every once in a while I throw a stick or two on the fire just to get a
rise out of some folks who go on about other gear. And like yourself I at
one time had more damn different cameras than it was worth owning even
though I used them for many different kinds of assignments.

Then one day I figured it was stupid having several Hassies and a bunch of
lenses for them, a 6X7 plus a bunch of lenses for it. A 4X5 and lenses, so I
decided to hell with the world and people telling me I had to use a
particular size of film, so I turfed the whole lot for almost next to
nothing and went all Leica. With lenses from 15 to 400, along with an 800
for a short while.

Then when I shot my assignments I'd never tell the client what size it was
shot on even when they asked it be shot on 4X5. Then I gave them prints the
likes they'd never seen. When they praised the pictures to no end, then I'd
tell them I'd shot it with a Leica..... And that usually ended any more ....
"you must shoot this on big film." demands.

Sure there were a few who were dyed in the wool large film fanatics, that
even after praising the photographs no end, when they found out I'd used a
Leica, they reversed their opinion .

So I told them, stick it, I can't work for you any more because I only use
Leica cameras and lenses! Actually there were a couple like that and in
reality they weren't any loss because they were the type of client who's
nothing but a pain in the ass to shoot for even though they paid well.

The other reason I make a crack about other gear or way off, I mean really
really way off topics that drag out for ages is, simply because when I
joined this magical group of Leica folks about, I think 5 years ago? it was
truly an all Leica conversation. Quite probably the most formidable Leica
list on the planet.

And yep we did slip off to other things on occasion, but good stuff and it
spun off Leica in some fashion or other and back. Like scotch! ;-) I mean a
Leica user, well some of us, ;-) like the finer things in life, as in, Leica
and the finest single malt scotch. :-) So it seemed they complimented each
other. ;-) Others of course didn't agree. ;-) So be it. :-)

I have no problem with folks gaining knowledge about other disciplines of
photography or equipment, it's when there are more off topics than on Leica
topics it seems a tad annoying. And for those who'll tell me to use the
delete button I do, quite often it's a quick glance down the topic lines and
it's :  "Select all... delete!"

And that my friends is a shame ,as there is so much talent here no one
should have to do that.

Anyway before someone tells me to stick it in my ear, I'll close. ;-)
ted