Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: know any good cemeteries?
From: "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 20:55:02 -0500

When buried underground in New Orleans, the dead will "knock" during heavy
rains. That is, the coffins are bumping up against the marble top. Burying
above ground was the quietest and easier way to go. Within the walls of some
N.O. cemeteries, one can see just how far we have sunk over the centuries.
One entire level of the burial walls is underground!

Inside the levees near the Mississippi River are many yellow fever victims
that have been covered up by the later concrete supports for the levee.
Every once in awhile, a cyprus coffin floats down river.

Chris
New Orleans