Subject: Re: [Leica] Travels with M6
From: SIUASU@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 20:49:07 EDT

Oliver,
You asked for some comments about your photo shoot at the Farmers Market.
First of all let me say that I don't know you and you don't know me but I
have a very long background in photography and part of that has been as an
instructor.  My comments may be negative but hopefully you will use them as a
learning tool.  So here it goes.
First of all I would suggest a different film (try Fugi NPS 160).  Your color
saturation is not good.  I don't know if this is a computer problem or what
but all of your pictures have washed out color.  I think you would have
achieved better results in black and white.   As for the 15 mm lens, I have
to ask WHY?  I use Leica equipment mainly for the quality of lenses.  They
are extremely sharp.  None of your pictures are sharp.  Camera bodies are
almost irrelevant to me.  If the lens isn't sharp, it's a piece of junk.  I
truly feel that if you had used a 35, 40, or 50 mm lens, you would have
gotten more exciting pictures to look at.  All good or great photos are
visually interesting to look at.  In other words there is usually some sort
of "energy source" in every photo.  When you start using extremely wide angle
lenses, it is very difficult to capture that "source".  The reason being is
your natural eye does not see at that wide of an angle.  Your natural vision
ranges from 35mm to 50mm.  So in my opinion file the 15mm in the circular
file.  I have a few suggestions next time you go to the market.  Focus on
more simple subject matter.  Don't try to say to much in one picture.  Maybe
concentrate on just the produce or individual reactions to someone's
purchase.  Don't be afraid to get close to your subject matter.  The simpler
the photo the better.  I know I may have opened a can of worms here but I
hope you and other LUGers can use some of this information.  Looking forward
to seeing more pixs.
Sincerely,
Bruce Morton
SIUASU@aol.com