Subject: RE: [Leica] word on the street - changes to MP already!
From: Jim Shulman <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 23:55:28 -0400

Usefulness really isn't the basis for the new MP: it's nostalgia for the
first generation of M cameras.  The rewind knob, all-metal wind lever,
and small shutter speed dial are all cute affectations designed for
those of us who are still nuts about the 1954 M3 and its immediate
successors.  After all, if Leica had just wanted to offer a manual M
camera, it would have been much easier to have stuck with the M7 body
and simply gone without AE, returning to the TTL-type manual shutter
arrangement of the last M6 cameras (and likely at a lower price than the
standard M7--though perhaps that niche has been satisfied with the Bessa
R2?)The new MP shutter speed dial is just perfect as it is--consistent
with the rest of the camera's 1950s appearance. My only quibble with the
MP is that it should really have traditional vulcanite (as the limited
edition Japanese version does!)

If a photographer wants a Leica with useful modern features and great
build quality, with the bigger shutter speed dial that matches the R's
rotation, rewind crank, plastic-tipped wind lever, and option for AE or
manual exposure, there's the M7.  With the MP, you pay a little more
money for fewer useful features.  On the other hand, the MP is the
closest thing we have to a classic all-mechanical Leica with a BTL meter
and modern viewfinder.  They're both incredibly nice cameras, but from
two distinctly different approaches.

My question to Leica remains: now that you made a great retro camera
just right, why screw it up?  If the MP doesn't sell, just get rid of it
and introduce something else, perhaps an all-manual M7, or even a
meterless M camera.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA