Subject: Re: [Leica] word on the street - changes to MP already!
From: "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:12:29 -0400

All of this stuff about M features and what should and shouldn't be on the
new M10 - oh no, that's a tank - prompts me to describe a letter I wrote to
Herr Cohn a few years ago, shortly after he became Leica CEO.

As I may have mentioned here, I've been a business lawyer for over 45 years
and in the process have worked with some very fine, imaginative and
enterprenurial corporate executives.

I suggested to Herr Cohn that Leica consider offering buyers the opportunity
to order M6 cameras with whatever features the customer wished, i.e.,
classic or TTL, 0.58, 0.72, or 0.85 viewfinders, black or silver finish,
meter or meterless and pay only for the features they order.

Inasmuch as a major cost of any manufactured item, especially one with a
relatively small production run, is tooling, all of which Leica already had,
and since we are not talking about an item of which millions are made each
year, I did not believe it would add enormously to cost to set up the
production line in such a way that Leica factory workers could build a
camera to order.

Apart from being hugely satisfying to the Leica user, this would have had
the additional benefit of reducing on-hand inventory in the hands of the
factory, the distributors and the dealers.

Helas! I never had a response from the gentleman.

Seth              LaK 9