Subject: RE: [Leica] Darkroom
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 14:04:40 -0400

Hi, Steve - The fact that you and many other people world-wide will
stick with film for sometime to come doesn't negate the validity of
Lew's statement - "the future is clearly digital."

Most working pros are going to be forced, by the demands of customers
and economics, to switch to digital - if they haven't been so forced
already. (Keep in mind, btw, that many pros replace their equipment on a
regular basis, so making the switch from film to digital simply means
replacing the current film camera with its digital counterpart.)

As to the admittedly huge non-pro market, hobbyists of any kind often
want what they consider to be the "latest" and the "best" - and in photo
that is taken to mean digital. Very very very few hobbyists own Leicas -
hell, very, very, very few pros - comparatively - own Leicas. So it's
not a matter of throwing away Leicas; it's much more a  matter of what
to get junior for his birthday, what to get to record family events, or
what to get to replace the low-end Pentax SLR or the Canon EOS Rebel.
And the answer to those questions will, in very little time, have
nothing to do with film.

Oh, right - obsolescence. We are at the point now with digital where
people can buy in at a number of price points and be happy for quite a
few years to come with the results they get. Sure, digital will continue
to improve. But how many people will have to have the improvements?
Certainly not enough so that your concern about "digicams" becoming
obsolete every two years is relevant.

Best,

B. D.