Subject: [Leica] Re: Noctilux
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:38:27 -0600

I often wonder if I had a Summilux if I would use the Noctilux as much
as I do now. Between the Summicron and the Noctilux there is no
contest. If I am going to be indoors, I carry the Nocti. My particular
Summicron suffers from veiling glare (jpgs are still on the way, I have
to dig for tham as I have not used it in a long time) so it is not a
favourite lens of mine. Do not get me wrong, I like the Summicron much
better than any SLR lens (except 105/2.5) that I have ever owned. It is
just the Nocti is so much better in the flare department. I have heard
the Summilux is more flare prone and so I am reluctant to experiment as
the only way I can afford to would be to sell one my lenses to finance
the purchase of the Summilux. Hopefully someday I will get a chance to
give one a good testing.

I agree with BD that at times the Nocti 's wide open bokeh can be
nauseating but it is not that way all the time. I have to do more
testing but I think it mostly happens when busy "chunky" backgrounds
are too close to the plain of focus. F/1.2 seems to less susceptible to
this effect as well. This is all speculation on my part as I need to do
more testing.

As to justifying the expense, I disagree. I carry the Nocti because it
does a job no other of my lenses can do. I shoot mostly slide film and
pushing is not always a viable option. The Noctilux gets the job done
where otherwise I would be forced to use flash or put the camera aside.
A simple example is photographing my son's swimming lessons: iso 100
slide film at 1/60 and f/1. I would not want to go any slower with the
shutter. The Nocti gets no special treatment, no protective filters and
no hood. If I was preoccupied with the expense I would sell the damn
thing. Who needs a lens you are too nervous to use?

I never wanted an f/1 lens but I had a chance to buy one at a good
price so I figured I would give it a tryout as I could always sell it
to recoup my expenses. I found the weight did not bother me and I loved
the results. I now find myself running out of light much less often
than I used to. Is it a must have lens? No, but it has worked out very
well for me. Now if someone wants to lend me a Summilux for a day or
so...

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux)
Reply from Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux)