Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:55:01 -0700

At 7:22 PM +0800 4/24/03, Red Dawn wrote:
> [...]

Jim got it right. DOF is dependent on focal length and aperture value
alone, and only slightly modified by the different circle of
confusion criteria for different formats.

The shot with the 10D/50 will have significantly more DOF than the
one with the 80mm on 24x36.

Anyone who has shot different formats will attest to this. A 180mm
lens has the same angle of view on 4x5 as a 50 has on 24x36. Shoot
both of a subject at the same distance and aperture, say f/8, and
you'll instantly see that the 24x36mm shot has immensely greater
depth of field.

Optical theory  substantiates this.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff