Subject: RE: [Leica] Found a pre-owned MP already
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:34:33 -0700

At 12:48 PM -0600 4/23/03, Kit McChesney | acmefoto wrote:
>Frank--
>
>Not sure what others do. When you buy online (as with our site) you pay no
>tax if you are outside Colorado. If you are in the UK, and buy from us, you
>have to take care of the VAT on your end. We have nothing to do with that.
>We just ship the goods and you get to wrestle with customs. I always tell
>folks if they are going to buy from us, if they are outside the U.S., to
>find out exactly what customs charges on their end will apply, so that there
>are no unpleasant surprises.
>
>So our price is what you pay, period. Whatever quote I give you, that's what
>you'll pay to me, for goods and shipping. What you pay to customs is another
>issue!
>
>Kit

I believe what Frank means (as I understand it) is that if he showed
up at your store, and saw a price tag of $19.95 on an item, he would
not get change back from a twenty, but would be asked to ante up more
to cover the tax before being allowed to leave with the goods.

That doesn't happen AFAIK outside of N.America.

I ran into a truly idiotic version of this the other day. I wanted to
buy a case of a certain sparkling water, and while a stock boy went
to get it, the cashier rang it up. I paid, but the water that was
brought was a different brand. The difference for the case was $3,
and the bottle deposit etc was the same, so I handed the cashier the
three dollars. But no, he wanted more. Turns out the incorrect water
was still water, and while there is no tax on still bottled water,
sparkling water is taxed, even though both types came directly from
springs.

So I asked the cashier how much CO2 there has to be in a bottle
before it was taxed. Unsurprisingly, he didn't know.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com