Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 19:19:01 -0800

faneuil wrote:

> Ok - so from all the responses I have received I am thinking of selling my
> 35 lux ASPH for the compactness of a 4th gen 35 Summicron.  Stop f1.4 all
> that much, esp as I usually have my camera loaded with 400 NPH or TCN.
> The compactness of the late spherical model is just so atttactive..
>
> Fickle Eric

You dot need F 1.4 because you're shooting 400?
My guess is more photographs have been taken at f 1.4 with 400 film than
any other combination F. stop film there is.
I shoot f 1.4 with 1600 film as a matter of course and f 1 with the same
film as well. As  most not most SLR people consider f1.4 to be medium.
Faster than that is fast. They cant figure out how we get anything at
all with a Summicron F2 lens with out irradiated jacked up 1600 film to
ASA 6400!

Me I'm not a buyer and seller. If I had the sharpest 35mm lens in the
history of the known universe (which you do) and probably for some time
to come and a recently invented innovation which relatively few have I'd
not sell it to raise cash for an earlier model which pretty much
represents an earlier technology. Not the best glass but a cute
different thing. (Look you see though this little window!)  Now lets not
obsess over terms lets just say the ASPH's have been a boom for Leica
making it in my opinion Definitely higher quality image makers than ANY
35mm format competition. Before we thought they were probably sharper
(sorry Erwin). Now we KNOW. (I'm sure some don't. It's big world and a
big enough list) About one every three times this is said on the list
the whole list goes up in arms claiming there Mamiya glass or whatever
is just as good!

So hold on to that jewel you can pick up a Summicron non Asph any day
for a chump change. Use it when you're walking miles at a time. Use the
Asph when you need the best as in the best images.

And when you GET that little Summicron hold it up and stroke it's little
head and say to it:

"Nice little Summicron. I'll NEVER trade you in for some other little
expensive thing in a few months or years.
You're mine forever!"

The lens does better when it feels warm and secure.

And a question arises what did you get the lens for - long distance
hiking or taking quality photographs?
My guess based on nothing is the latter but now if you want the former
don't forsake the later for cash. You might need to take a real good
shot in your own backyard or in your house. Wide open as we said the non
Asph is do do.
Compact. But you expect that from an f4 lens.

I'm sure glad when i got my Noctilux i did not then sell my 50
Summicron!. It's still very useful to me as a matter of fact, more
useful than the Noctilux which really is a special purpose tool. I often
find myself not in dark alleys or otherwise stalking the night air. I'm
home watching television is more like it or printing in my darkroom or
here and posting to the LUG.
I should also say thought that some (like Ted) cant seem to pry it off
the camera and use it all the time. He's all over the place and never
thinks twice about the weight of his lens.

Sorry for the overstatements my medication just kicked in.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "faneuil" <leica_korenman@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?)