Subject: Re: [Leica] Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement)
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:49:20 +0100

>Martin Howard wrote:
>>
>>  Christer Almqvist wrote:
>>
>>  > try stand development when you use Rodinal 1+100 with HP5+.
>>
>>  Don't you get serious problems with smoothness (or rather, lack of) of
>>  tonality in even-toned areas with this?  Is the dilution enough to
>>  overcome the roughness you can otherwise get?
>>
>>  M.
>>
>You're asking Christer, Martin but let me say Pyro might be smoother and
>more "even toned" then Rodinal @ 1:100 but not by much!
>Arnold Gassan says to do 4x5 negs for copy work in Rodinal 1:100 said to
>produce the most "straight line" (by Gassan and dozens of other people
>I've heard) results than any other developer dilution combination with
>many films.

I can only agree. Most developer film combinations give an overall
straight line when  you plot the densities, except that there is
usually a little dip below the straight line for zonesx 2 and 3  and
perhaps four. Not with Rodinal 1+100 and HP5+. There the line is
straight as you can get it.

>  And perhaps more so than Pyro.
>When you say "even toned" it sounds to me like you mean straight line on
>the H&D curve.

I think he meant that an even grey or white or black or anything
inbetween area would be rendered with absolutely the same density on
the negative (except for fall of in the corners due to the lens)
without any trace of uneven development. I have 33 exposures of grey
cards on three different HP5+ film all developed in Rodinal 1+100 a
copuple of weeks apart. No uneven development in any case. I use
Paterson tanks