Subject: Re: [Leica] Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement)
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:34:11 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> When you say "even toned" it sounds to me like you mean straight line
> on
> the H&D curve.

Actually, I was referring to what you called "mottling".  The fact that
large expanses of even-toned areas (such as sky) have a tendency to
come out all "blotchy" when you use stand development.  Some people
talk about "streaking", which may or may not be the same phenomenon,
I'm not sure.

I've just set an assignment for myself: to use my old 6x9 Moskva-5
folder.  GeeBee's splendid, moody B&W images of the English countryside
has inspired me to try to document the parts of California I find
myself in.  I thought I'd contact print 6x9cm negs onto 5x7" paper.
I'm using the 23 rolls of Verichrome Pan 120 that I have left, after
which I'd guess I need to find another EI 100/200 film.

Since you are the Harry Potter of Darkrooms among us... ;) ...what
would you recommend in order to get:

	a) Very long tonal range
	b) High edge actuance (i.e., sharpness)

and, for a bonus,

	c) Film + dev combo to replace Verichrome Pan one of these days

Something that would work will for contact prints.  I'm thinking
two-bath devs might be the way to go... at least once I run out of the
VP.  I'm not an expert craftsman by any means: "forgiving" needs to be
a characteristic of the film+dev combo... ;)

M.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement))